jump to navigation

These two weeks in OpenSim Dev – weeks ending Saturday 11th June 2011 June 15, 2011

Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, secondlife, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
trackback

Hello everybody.  This is a summary of the last two weeks of development in OpenSimulator (I had a bit of a stomach bug last week).  Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSimulator’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment.  Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.1.1 (released on May 27th 2011).

The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.

This week in OpenSim ( d671dbb7 – fc7e17b ).

General news

  • None this week.

Features & bug fixes

  • I updated libomv to 0.9.0, in order to fix issues with llDialog boxes on the latest Linden Lab version 2 viewers.  This fix is also in the 0.7.1-dev git branch (c67fa72).
  • James Stallings contributed a patch to allow gods to see all of a user’s groups, not just those which they explicitly list in their profile (c43ad8a).
  • Chris Hart contributed a patch to update the MSSQL database adapter for OpenSim’s most recently functionality.  This was also applied to the 0.7.1-dev Git branch (5fb0455).
  • Bluewall fixed a problem with redirecting avatars for fallback regions if the attempted destination region currently has logins disabled (777f457).
  • Diva added Hypergrid landmarks.  As with many other recent Hypergrid changes, this requires carefully updating of config files (compare current ini.example files) (cf86ba5).
  • I fixed llSensor() so that if it’s in an attachment, the detection cone faces in the direction of the avatar rather than in the relative rotation of the attachment towards the avatar (66004a9).
  • Diva added an internal EventManager.OnPrimsLoaded event so that modules can detect when a scene’s objects have been restored from persistence (9759b2a).
  • On Hypergrid, Diva fixed an issue where the creator/owner of all prims created by foreign visitors was shown as “Unknown User” (80fc607).
  • Diva discovered further issues when separating Hypergrid regions by more than 2048 tiles! (8d3a8a0).
  • I changed MySQL region database tables to use the MyISAM engine rather than InnoDB.  This results in a significant persistence speed improvement which is very noticeable when loading OARs (e.g. one scene object that took 9 seconds to persist now takes 1 second).  In theory, this may impact data retrieval but field reports say there is no noticeable difference, possibly because all prim data is currently held in memory for the duration of the sim’s run (9149ef6).
  • Dahlia made physics meshing handle both the new and old mesh formats (387b228).
  • Oren Hurvitz contributed a patch to save the sun‘s position in OARs. (804fe2d).
  • I eliminated a bug where the hover text green color value was accidentally used on persistence rather than the alpha value.  This affect OARs and quite possibly inventory and prim region crossing (fc7e17b).

Infrastructure

  • Diva continued to work on Hypergrid IM, friends and lures.
Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: