This week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 7th May 2011 May 11, 2011Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSimulator 0.7.1 (released on May 4th 2011).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 6b2b036 – d40e456).
- In case you somehow missed it, the final release of OpenSimulator 0.7.1 is now available for download :). The weekly updates now concern development code again, except where noted. Some have been ported to the 0.7.1-dev Git branch and may be published in a minor point release.
Features & bug fixes
- Sean McNamara contributed an optional AutoBackup module. This regularly backs up each region to an OpenSim Archive (OAR) according to a specific interval and file naming scheme. See this wiki page for more details, though that’s a proposal that really needs to be turned into documentation. DutchGlory has also produced a guide (0995fed).
- Diva increased various inter-sim communication timeouts to improve reliability. These changes were included in OpenSimulator 0.7.1 (f7d3720).
- Dahlia further adjusted avatar position updates. My experience is that we’ve now returned to the lots of small lurches that we had before instead of the bigger regular lurch, as detailed last week. Ultimately, the solution is to better match OpenSimulator’s avatar velocity with the standard viewer expectations (eaa33cf).
- Diva fixed a regression where returning objects from a parcel had stopped working (d47dacd).
- I added a “dump asset” command to the asset service. This will dump an asset with a given UUID to the filesystem (9ff94a3).
- Bluewall added support for communicating with the region simulator and ROBUST data services using HTTPS, and added support for llRequestSecureURL(). See his blog post for more details. The new settings are also explained in the config files (d40e456).
- MrMonkE contributed an implementation of the GridUserStore for the MSSQL data adaptor, which had been forgotten (72fb0d5).
- Diva overhauled the capabilities infrastructure. Some 3rd party modules might require code changes and recompilation to work against development code. There are also configuration adjustments, though they should not effect you if you haven’t changed the default ini files in config-include.