This week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 30th April 2011 May 4, 2011Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( e2c6ed2 – d4323dd ).
- OpenSimulator 0.7.1-rc2, which is the second release candidate for 0.7.1, is now available for download and testing! Please see the announcement for more details.
Features & bug fixes
- Dahlia decreased the frequency of avatar position updates when avatar velocity is unchanged. This leads to smoother movement but also introduces a lurch when OpenSim does send an update, since the client’s extrapolation of avatar position and OpenSim’s calculations do not agree with each other. This was the case bfefore but it’s more noticeable with fewer updates. This needs to be addressed. This change will not be in 0.7.1 (16f6f55).
- When using Mono, OpenSim now requires a minimum version of 2.4.3 since Mono versions below this do not implement ServicePointManager.get_ServerCertificateValidationCallback(). This will apply to 0.7.1 (1201084).
- Snoopy contributed a patch that allows the grid/standalone to filter viewers based on the version string that they submit. Naturally, this is not particularly secure since it’s trivial for a client to fake it’s version string, much as a web browser can fake its User-Agent field (e0576b5).
- I fixed a regression where physical objects rezzed by scripts with an initial velocity did not receive it. This is fixed in both master and 0.7.1 (50aa931).
- MrMonkE contributed a patch that brings OpenSim’s MSSQL database adaptor up to equivalence with MySQL. This has been applied to both master and 0.7.1 (7ecf689).
- I stopped the scripting change() event firing twice with CHANGED_INVENTORY if a notecard was edited in a prim. This fix is in both Git master and the 0.7.1 branch (cd7517c).
- Diva changed region border crossings so that all attachment data is sent in one packet rather than individual. Backwards compatibility is preserved with older sims. This change is in Git master only (d4323dd).
- Mic continued to work on adaptive queue management and fair queueing. The aim is to significantly improve the performance of OpenSim’s implementation of the LLUDP viewer-server protocol.