This week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 12th February 2011 February 15, 2011Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 2c7e87c – 19d3792 ).
- The bug mentioned last week was found and destroyed. The root cause was that OSGrid’s distribution had started to set the scene_throttle_max_bps and client_throttle_max_bps in the OpenSim.ini configuration file. These settings hadn’t been used much before and so revealed an overflow bug in the LLUDP client stack, which would cause it to misbehave after a period of time. Many thanks to Diva and OpenSim testers for hunting this down.
Features & bug fixes
- I added some more information in OpenSim.ini.example for the mesh_sculpted_prim setting in [ODEPhysicsSettings]. This setting creates collision meshes that match sculpties. However, this relies on the OpenJPEG library and in some circumstances can fail. Sometimes the same sculpt may work fine on 32 bit machines but fail on 64 bit machines, and vice versa. The exception usually starts with the message “Decoded image with unhandled number of components: 0” shortly followed by a physics exception. I’m not sure if this exception has any bad side effects (apart from console/log clutter), but setting mesh_sculpted_prim = false will remove it (98af0db).
- I resolved a problem where removing/joining land parcels when using the SQLite database adaptor in Windows would cause exceptions (754c244).
- I fixed a bug where an estate would always be created with the default name “My Estate” even if the user entered something else on the region console (03d82a5).
- Diva fixed some issues with OpenSim’s embedded HTTP server. See Mantis 5373 and 5384 for more details (059e9ea).
- No news this week.