This week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 5th February 2011 February 9, 2011Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 0898be5 – 3411d48 ).
- A subtle bug may have crept into OpenSim Git master in the last few weeks or possibly slightly longer. After a period of 8 hours or so (though reports vary), users logging into the region will end up at 10,10,10 and receive no data (seeing only ocean). According to some reports, terrain and object data is then suddenly received after a long period (e.g. 25 minutes). See Mantis 5365 for more details. More information on this bug would be much appreciated, particularly how it occurs on standalones or other grids or any narrowing down to a particular commit.
Features & bug fixes
- I fixed a bug where the SimianGrid Groups service connector was turning an unpopulated groups object rather than null, as is assumed by existing calling code (0898be5).
- Diva fixed a bug which may have been inserting incompatible CreatorData entries into IARs under certain circumstances (such as when items had been acquired via the Hypergrid). See Mantis 5360 (8fdc810).
- Mic reduced the number of child agent updates that have to be sent to remote regions on avatar movement to one per remote simulator rather than one per remote region (cf24069).
- I made UUID cf24069227f9a32272c873d4423e2e11f5da25a8 by default reference the full alpha texture in OpenSim. This should stop some viewers continually requesting this texture when the request isn’t satisfied. See Mantis 4751 (c1665cf).
- Kevin Cozens contributed a patch which makes the viewer display the correct creation date when inspecting prims. See Mantis 3990 (034327b).
- Diva fixed a bug on map search for Hypergrid (144f367).
- gcrim contributed a patch that fixes LSL set texture functions to always try to lookup a texture by name first in the prim’s inventory before seeing if it an be treated as a UUID asset reference. This allows texture inventory items to have names that are valid UUIDs (3585130).
- I stopped llInstantMessage() from crashing Linden Lab Viewer 2.4 (and possibly earlier Viewer 2 versions). See Mantis 5356 (722f0ba).
- Diva added an “OutboundPermission” configuration setting to the HGInventoryAccessModule. Setting this to false prevents foreign Hypergrid visitors to a local grid from taking assets back to their home grid (f5a3eb9).
- Diva added a “show circuits” command. This shows the circuits established between login server and region or between teleport source region and destination region prior to the viewer connecting directly and establishing a full connection (these are visible using “show connections”) (b20ab10).
- Diva added a “show http-handlers” command which shows all the currently active HTTP handlers for inbound GET, PUT and POST requests (b20ab10).
- Diva added a “show caps” command which show the capabilities URLs that a region has supplied to an agent (30fa5ad).
- No news this week.