This week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 3rd December 2010 December 8, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 5aeb831 – 6639aae ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- I stopped OpenSim from ever telling a viewer, in normal circumstances, that an object had been updated after it had been deleted. This stops deleted object persisting in the viewer until relog when large numbers of objects are being deleted (e.g. via a region module, or when an OpenSim Archive (OAR) is loaded) (5246d98).
- I improved the performance of object delete (7e72afc).
- Mic Bowman contributed bug fixes for appearance handling. This reduces the instances where avatars remain as clouds (df8605).
- I added bare bones example new style region modules. These can be found at OpenSim/Region/OptionalModules/Example. These examples can be activated just by uncommenting one line and rebuilding OpenSim. I also updated the basic region module documentation in the wiki.
- Diva continued implementing global creator IDs in OARs and IARs. These will show the creator name as <first>.<last>@<authority>, e.g. email@example.com. These involve lots of configuration changes for Hypergrid setups. Please see the OpenSim mailing lists for more details.