This two weeks in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 6th November 2010 November 8, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last two weeks of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This two weeks in OpenSim ( 852c61a – 644eb9f ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie added PRIM_NAME, PRIM_DESC and PRIM_ROT_LOCAL constants to LSL commands that get and set prim params (852c61a).
- Mic Bowman contributed an overhaul of appearance code. In the medium term this should improve the performance and reliabilty of all aspects of avatar appearance. However, since this is a significant code change in the short term there is likely to be some instability (0970551).
- Melanie started to add support in OpenSim git master for avatar layers and alpha masks as found in Linden Lab’s Viewer 2. This code may still be unstable and contains both an interface version increment (making the code beyond this point incompatible with older grid services and regions) and a data migration (57eabe9).
- I set the client protocol flag async_packet_handling setting to be true by default in the [ClientStack.LindenUDP] section of OpenSimDefaults.ini. The major consequence of this is that OpenSim can handle logins on an asynchronous thread rather than halting packet processing for all avatars while the login process completes. This improves the login experience for avatars already on the sim (343c894).
- Snoopy contributed a patch that stops certain gifs used via osSetDynamicTextureURL() from crashing the region due to a bug in Mono (ed7959d).
- mores contributed a patch that allows the remote admin plugin to bind to a different, possibly private, IP address rather than the main one for OpenSim’s HTTP server (c25f84e).
- Melanie added an lsClearWindlightScene() LightShare scripting function that allows Windlight settings to be removed from a region (6c3b761).
- Melanie made a change so that existing presence records are deleted if they are still present when a user logs back in (1c8d19d).
- Melanie stopped sounds played via a HUD from being sent to surrounding avatars (644eb9f).
- No news this week.