This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 18th September 2010 September 22, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 16d782e – 27d5976 ).
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- As described in general news last week, jhurliman changed OpenSim’s configuration settings such that the database settings in OpenSim.ini’s [Startup] section are no longer used to store region data. Instead, the [DatabaseService] settings in config-include/StandaloneCommon.ini (in standalone mode) or config-include/GridCommon.ini (in grid mode) are used instead (2ed276e).
- jhurliman fixed length calculations for HTTP texture downloads (5ef2da3).
- As described in general news last week, Melanie moved some of the configuration settings in OpenSim.ini.example to OpenSimDefaults.ini, which is always loaded by OpenSim. The settings removed from OpenSim.ini.example should be those which are seldom changed by users. These can still be overriden by manually copying them from OpenSimDefaults.ini to OpenSim.ini (after copying OpenSim.ini.example to OpenSim.ini) (f53d5a3).
- I fixed the “show threads” command so that it displays those being tracked by the thread watchdog (609375b).
- I reduced the scope for a viewer to be sent an update packet for an object after it has been told that the object is deleted in the client protocol stack. If update follows deletion, then an undeletable and unowned object is left in the client’s copy of the scene until they relog in or teleport away and return. Even with these changes this can still happen, though only under conditions of heavy deletion which may only be achievable by region modules (256c8cb).
- jhurliman changed the code such that iteration over the prims in a scene object is done on a new list of these prims rather than by thread locking the original list. This may be slightly slower but will reduce the danger of deadlock, both now and in the future (b479db33).
- Melanie made online indicators and instant messaging more robust in grid situations (7762301).
- player contributed a patch that fixes a bug in llParseString2List(). See Mantis 5036 for more details (e603521).
- I fixed a bug where the Flotsam groups connector module was using ‘requestingAgentID’ as a parameter name in its request rather than ‘RequestingAgentID’. This should fix various problems in using Flotsam groups (OpenSim 0.6.9 was not affected by this bug) (b1ab3ea).
- Teravus added more automated tests to the build.