This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 11th September 2010 September 14, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.2 (released on Saturday 11th September 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( 6a0a878 – 007912d ).
- OpenSim 0.7.0.2 was released. This is a minor point release from the OpenSim 0.7 line and so will contain only selected low risk changes from these summaries of the bleeding edge.
- OpenSim’s copy of Prebuild has now been updated. This improves the generation of build files for tools such as xbuild, monodevelop and nant. However, it will require anybody building region modules in the addon-modules/ directory of OpenSim to make small changes to their prebuild.xml files. Please see this mailing list post and the reply for more details. This will not affect binary modules placed in bin/addon-modules. Many thanks to Bluewall for the Prebuild improvments.
- Changes in the structure of OpenSim’s main configuration files are currently taking place. This has not settled down yet, but so far the Region storage settings (storage_plugin, storage_connection_string) in OpenSim.ini’s [Startup] section have been removed. The database settings in the [DatabaseService] section of config-include/StandaloneCommon.ini (on standalone mode) or config-include/GridCommon.ini (on grid mode) are used instead. In standalone mode your existing configuration should continue to work, but in grid mode you will need to add the new [DatabaseService] section of GridCommon.ini.example to your existing GridCommon.ini.
- A further change in configuration sees the contents of OpenSim.ini.example being moved to OpenSimDefaults.ini, which is always loaded by OpenSim. The idea is that OpenSimDefaults.ini contains settings which users are unlikely to need to change while OpenSim.ini provides commonly changed settings. However, this concept is still under active development. In the mean time, existing OpenSim.ini files should continue to work (in theory) since their settings should override whatever is in OpenSimDefaults.ini.
Features & bug fixes
- I fixed a bug where prims that were deleted by llDie() or region modules shortly after being delinked would reappear when the server was restarted (11f4a65).
- John Hurliman made several race condition fixes in the Friends module (8415b98).
- John Hurliman improved thread safety in the management of scene entities (b597a29).
- kjhoulihan contributed a patch that makes it impossible to create a user with a space in their name apart from the one that separates the first name and the surname. This is necessary due to current user name restrictions (30306a7).
- I updated Prebuild with revision 323 + an OpenSim specific nant hack to clean up chosen OpenSim executables and dlls in the bin/ directory. Please see Prebuild update information in the section above (7e65590).
- Diva continued work on Hypergrid 1.5.
- John Hurliman restructed the StorageManager into seperate Region and Simulation data store region modules, in keeping with the structure of the rest of the services.