This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 14th August 2010 August 17, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a summary of the last week of development in OpenSimulator. Except where otherwise specified, the changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. Sometimes this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.7.0.1 (released on Tuesday 10th August 2010).
The letters and numbers in brackets after some entries tell you the latest git commit to which they apply.
This week in OpenSim ( cd2c7b9 – 96e4099 ).
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie added a ‘DisableFacelights‘ option to OpenSim.ini.example. This disables all attachment light effects except for those attached to the hands (cd2c7b9).
- Marck00 contributed a patch that implements distance sorting for fallback regions (used when a user’s desired login location is not available) (a5e4a2b).
- Diva restored the GridInfoService for standalone installations (it has always been present for a grid installation). This is a service that can return information to the viewer about a grid. Some viewers (such as Hippo) used this to auto-configure certain parameters. See the OpenSim wiki for more details (144fc20).
- I fixed a bug where setting parameters on all prim faces at once (e.g. setting a texture on all faces of a cube) would sometimes only set some of the faces. This was also ported to 0.6.9-post-fixes and 0.7-post-fixes but did not make it into 0.7.0.1 (a5dab07).
- I fixed a bug where shift-copying an object in-world would leave non-root prims of the original object phantom, even if the object was not marked as phantom (2a1c11f).
- Marck contributed a patch to make a prim color change generate the CHANGED_COLOR change() scripting event (4f62f00).
- randomhuman contributed a patch to fix the create_region command on RemoteAdmin. This now properly supports setting estate details on region creation (8eeb3f2).
- Marck contributed a patch so that included configuration files can be read from relative paths that include the parent directory. This has been broken since OpenSim 0.6.6 (ae43a07).
- Valy- contributed a patch that fixes land permission flags when using OpenSim on big-endian architectures (1463691).
- No news this week.