This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 13th March 2010 March 17, 2010Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday. The letters in brackets after bug and feature points are the Git revision identifiers in which the work appears. We only give the first 6 characters of each revision but this should be enough to identify it.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.8 (released on 23rd December 2009).
This week in OpenSim ( 89a739 – 1e73e1 ).
- The cutting edge OpenSim Git master code is still unstable following the final merge of the ROBUST server migration on the 1st March 2010. I very strongly recommend that you don’t update to this code unless you are a developer or tester – please stick with official releases such as OpenSim 0.6.8. If you do need to update, here are some work-in-progress migration instructions.
Features & bug fixes
- Daedius contributed a patch that implements parcel and estate bans (98f91a).
- I simplified the new OpenSim standalone database configuration. Settings only need to be changed in two places now (OpenSim.ini and config-include/StandaloneCommon.ini) to switch between databases. This also has the side effect of eliminating a problem for people using MySQL standalones when they updated to the latest OpenSim master. The migration error would look something like
19:36:27 - [SERVICE BASE]: Failed to load plugin OpenSim.Data.IFriendsData from OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll with args URI=file:friends.db,version=3, Friends System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: Keyword not supported.
- Dahlia made some improvements to sculptmap alpha handling and level of detail (LOD) (1e73e1).
- jhurliman upgraded OpenSim’s versions of libomv to SVN r3268. This adds protocol support for Viewer 2.0 though work is still required in OpenSim to actually implement any features.