This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 28th November 2009 November 30, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday. The letters in brackets after bug and feature points are the Git revision identifiers in which the work appears. We only give the first 6 characters of each revision but this should be enough to identify it.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.7 (released on 14th October 2009).
This week in OpenSim ( 999779 – 9fd921 ).
- Testing began on the ‘release candidate 1‘ stage for OpenSim 0.6.8. This was branched from master on 23rd November 2009 though it will incorporate selected bug fixes from the master line. If you’re familiar with OpenSim, are comfortable with building it from source code and would like to contribute to the release process then please follow the instructions on the mailing list and get testing!
Features & bug fixes
- Teravus fixed a landing problem if the avatar was moving forward above a certain speed (c15509).
- Teravus fixed a problem where dragging a physical prim would sometimes corrupt the physics representation, resulting in a never-ending spew of error messages to the console (9ba10a).
- Teravus added code to stop the avatar sometimes performing a ‘double jump‘ when it collides with a prim (21f80b).
- Adam added a facility to restore deleted and updated inventory items and folders. This stores one restoration sql file per use per day. To enable, setrollback = “true”
rollbackdir = “”/absolute/path/to/rollback/storage/dir”
in the [InventoryService] section of bin/config-include/GridCommon.ini (hence this may not yet work for standalone OpenSim instances). This functionality should probably be considered experimental for now (b516fe).
- Teravus fixed a problem where avatars had been unable to walk up steep mountains (3ebb52).
- I added the ability to merge OpenSim Archives (OARs) via a –merge switch on the “load oar” command. In other worlds, one OAR can now be loaded on top of an existing OAR in the region simulator while keeping the existing objects, terrain, region settings and parcel data. See the wiki for more details (a4d2a9).
- Mic Bowman contributed a patch that fixes a problem with the avatar landing animation on long running regions (a3755d).
- Teravus fixed an issue with the llSetRot() method if the object is not physics-enabled. This may resolve problems with certain scripts such as those which rotate doors (a5f280).
- I fixed a problem where an Inventory Archive (IAR) load did not preserve creator information if the required user profiles were present (2bc19a).
- Jeff Lee contributed osGetRegionStats() script function to return a number of sim statistics (9d0596).
- Melanie fixed a problem with llDie() (3ae3cd).
- I removed strict MIME type checking when loading OpenSim Archives (OARs) directly from the web. This functionality was present previously but this change makes things a little easier (32ef1b).
- Alex Welch contributed a patch that stops llParcelMediaCommandList() failing on group deeded land (25e2b1).
- KittyLiu contributed a patch that fixes locking issues where many scripts are running and some are crossing between regions (2e47e5).
- Revolution contributed a patch that implements god mode freezing and unfreezing of individual users (e078fb).
- Teravus refactored the giant LLClientView incoming packet handling switch to individual methods.
- Melanie started to fix problems that occur when a prim tries to cross a region boundary. Trusted script crossings (when TrustBinaries = true in OpenSim.ini) should now work again. Please note that TrustBinaries should only be used if all simulators are utterly trustworthy (probably operated by a single party).