This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 31st October 2009 November 3, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday. The letters in brackets after bug and feature points are the Git revision identifiers in which the work appears. We only give the first 6 characters of each revision but this should be enough to identify it.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.7 (released on 14th October 2009).
This week in OpenSim ( 730930 – 58c260 )
- Mono 2.4.2 or later is now required to build or run OpenSim. This will take effect for users when the next version (probably 0.6.8) is released.
Features & bug fixes
- RemedyTomm contributed a patch that may improve bulk data transfer between the region simulator and the viewer (1209db).
- Dan Lake contributed a patch that reduces memory usage in the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) OpenSim physics plugin (428bd7).
- jhurliman introduced the option to run some scene operations asynchronously. This will increase performance on multi-core systems (0b1726).
- jhurliman increased the priority of avatar baked texture requests. This should make them rez faster than other scene textures (3a1ee7).
- jhurliman switched from using OpenJPEG to CSJ2K in the Meshmerizer. This will probably improve reliability of the Meshmerizer (322b39).
- Fredo Chaplin contributed a patch that allows objects to be deleted by UUID from the region simulator command line. Melanie made further tweaks (c17359).
- jhurliman fixed the standalone login so that the “requested region, default region, any region” sequence is honoured (b81c82).
- jhurliman fixed Mantis 4329 where the llDialog box had stopped working (a05c67).
- jhurliman continued to work on the new Linden Lab client-server protocol stack implementation.
- jhurliman updated the version of libomv used by OpenSim to 0.8.0-pre.
- jhurliman removed the DotNetEngine scripting engine.