This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 19th September 2009 September 21, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday. The letters in brackets after bug and feature points are the Git revision identifiers in which the work appears. We only give the first 6 characters of each revision but this should be enough to identify it.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.6 (branched at old Subversion revision r9962).
This week in OpenSim ( 01ec93 – f64108 )
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- Teravus added a user setting into OpenSim.ini.example for megaregions (regions larger than 256m x 256m). I think that this means that they are slightly less experimental than they were (feccfe).
- Melanie fixed a bug that would occasionally cause problems when an inventory folder was given to another avatar (efc43a).
- Dr Scofield made a change to perserve UTF-8 encoding for saved script state (19c5c8).
- I made save and load Inventory Archive (IAR) commands available to users. “save iar” on the region console saves user inventory, “load iar” loads it. Unfortunately, this is only currently available on standalone systems. Grid will follow shortly (33ea86).
- Fly-Man- and Bluewall contributed patches to enable in-world scripts to make XMLRPC calls again and to provide external hostname information (d83548).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch that stops on_rez events being generated when an OAR is loaded. This makes OAR loading behaviour the same as region restart (3403ae).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch that fixes a bug in llList2ListStrided() where use on a list with only a single item always returned an empty list (3b1ef2).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch that implements a standalone compilation environment for OpenSim scripts (d4c98d).
- Alan M Webb contributed a facility that allows script channel output to be logged to the region server’s log (9cbb86).
- I switched the default physics engine to ODE and the default mesher to Meshmerizer. This should make the new user experience slightly less confusing since objects will now be solid by default and it will be possible to walk into hollows (077d01).
- mcortez contributed a patch to fix a problem with showing users in a group (69ef95).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch that resolves some physics related null pointer exceptions when using llDie() (8f133c).
- Melanie removed the old asset and inventory servers. This means that asset and inventory services now have to be instantiated and configured in ROBUST servers.
- nlin made a change that aims to eliminate issues where prims can only be climbed from certain directions. However, this may have introduced extra knee-buckling in avatars. See Mantis 2905 for more information (56edbe).
- Rob Smart contributed to contribute patches working towards a better authorization service for avatars entering a region.
- Melanie continued work on a new user authentication mechanism.