This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 12th September 2009 September 14, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday. The letters in brackets after bug and feature points are the Git revision identifiers in which the work appears. We only give the first 6 characters of each revision but this should be enough to identify it.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Git ‘master’ branch. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘master’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.6 (branched at old Subversion revision r9962).
This week in OpenSim ( 2a8f66 – 40c3ac )
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- Dahlia did some optimization of llRot2Euler() and llEuler2Rot(). She also fixed llRot2Euler() so that it now returns angles between -pi and pi (665cf0).
- mcortez contributed a patch that fixes some errors in the Flotsam asset cache and provides additional console commands (5c606d).
- dr scofield fixed handling of UTF-8 in notecards (d8a787).
- Teravus fixed a problem of thread contention when starting stopping some timers in Mono (dc3798). This was the cause of recent seemingly random Timer related crashes such as
Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at System.Timers.Timer.StartTimer () [0x0005e] in /usr/src/packages/BUILD/mono-2.0.1/mcs/class/System/System.Timers/Timer.cs:203
- Melanie made a change so that OpenSim can now load inventory folders with invalid type values in the database (0034dd).
- Melanie continued work on a new user authentication mechanism.
- I worked on Inventory Archives (IARs).
- Teravus continued his work on megaregions (regions larger than 256m x 256m), including fixes for object taking, rezzing and minimap display.
- Rob Smart contributed patches working towards a better authorization service for avatars entering a region. Diva made a small fix to stop problems where a user profile doesn’t have an e-mail address.