This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 16th May 2009 May 17, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of Saturday. The numbers in brackets after bug and feature points are the SVN revision numbers in which the work appears.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Subversion ‘trunk’. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘trunk’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.4 (branched at r8961).
This week in OpenSim ( r9475 – r9571 )
- Diva switched the asset service to a new OpenSim service architecture. This is a big change so inevitably some things will be temporarily broken for a period. As usual we advise people not to update from SVN trunk unless they’re prepared to deal with these issues.
- Adam introduced an experimental suggestion system for OpenSim features. Definitely worth a look!
Features & bug fixes
- Adam implemented an experimental IP/DNS based ban facility (r9496).
- Patnad contributed a patch that implements the new region maturity rating seen in version 1.23 of Linden Lab’s Second Life viewer (r9503).
- Melanie implemented llDetachFromAvatar() and llAttachToAvatar() (r9533).
- Melanie implemented llRequestURL(), llRequestSecureURL(), llReleaseURL() (r9535).
- Melanie implemented the LSL http server in OpenSim (r9543).
- I changed the OpenSim ARchive (OAR) saving code so that it should use much less memory while saving. This may resolve problems in saving OARs of large regions (r9558).
- Dahlia made some sculpted prim geometry accuracy and meshing speed improvements (r9561).
- Melanie and Diva continued work on a new services framework.
- Melanie added permission mechanisms for gorup deeding land.