This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 2nd May 2009 May 3, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of Saturday. The numbers in brackets after bug and feature points are the SVN revision numbers in which the work appears.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Subversion ‘trunk’. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘trunk’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.4 (branched at r8961).
This week in OpenSim ( r9314 – r9383 )
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- mcortez contributed patches to fix group notice delivery and various other miscellaneous groups related bugs. He also contributed simple security for groups server access. Please note that groups support is still incomplete and experimental (r9375).
- diva changed the hypergrid option so that it is now specified inside OpenSim.ini rather than on the command line (as -hypergrid = true) (r9329).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch to support the management of access lists remotely (r9324).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch to fix issues when a user disconnected while their avatar was sitting down (r9326).
- I fixed an issue where OpenSim ARchive (OAR) loading would fail if the archive contained directory entries. This was preventing loading of archives manually created using archiving programs such as gtar (r9334).
- Alan M Webb contributed a patch to allow the management of region voice settings remotely (r9338).
- Melanie improved the unlink code so that atrbitary combinations of root and child prims can be unlinked from one or multiple linksets (r9341).
- I made ‘region.oar’ the default OAR filename rather than ‘scene.oar.tar.gz’ to reduce confusion. (r9344).
- MW fixed a bug in the permissions module where admins couldn’t edit each other’s objects (r9358).
- mpallari contributed a patch that improves OpenSim’s implementation of the Second Life protocol by combining avatar updates into a single packet. Melanie made further changes to this (r9359).
- Melanie improved OpenSim’s implementation of the SL protocol by combining multiple object updates into a single packet (r9366).
- Melanie made a change so that the animations of all other avatars are sent to an avatar entering a sim. This may fix the phenomenon where other people often have strangely folded legs on login (r9364).
- Melanie re-enabled the packet pool by default. This may improve the efficiency of the SL protocol in OpenSim (r9382).
- I continued to work on Inventory ARchive (IAR) functionality. This is not yet ready for general use.
- Melanie made various changes to OpenSim’s SL protocol stack.