This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 11th April 2009 April 13, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of Saturday. The numbers in brackets after bug and feature points are the SVN revision numbers in which the work appears.
The changes described here appear only in OpenSim’s cutting edge Subversion ‘trunk’. Please do not attempt to use code taken directly from ‘trunk’ in any production environment. At particular points in time this in-development code may not work or may even cause data corruption. If you are not a developer or tester, please treat this summary instead as a preview of what will be coming up in the next release. The latest official release is OpenSim 0.6.4 (branched at r8961).
This week in OpenSim ( r8996 – r9110 )
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- RemedyTomm contributed a patch that improves animation state handling, reducing situations where the avatar flickers rapidly between two animations (r9029).
- Fredo Chaplin contributed a patch that makes the “Add To Outfit” command in Second Life viewers wear attachments in the folder as well as clothing (r9039).
- Ewe Loon contributed a patch that improves the accuracy of llAngleBetween() (r9046).
- Christopher Yeoh contributed a patch that implements osKey2Name() and osName2Key(). These allow conversion between an avatar’s UUID and it’s name, and vice-versa (r9071).
- nlin completed the ability to spin physical prims using Ctrl + Shift + Drag (in the Linden Lab Second Life viewer) (r9090).
- RemedyTomm contributed a patch that improves the server side texture pipline. This should mean that textures load faster and more reliably (r9091).
- aduffy70 contributed a patch that makes llGroundSlope() return correct results (r9093).
- aduffy70 contributed a patch that makes llCloud() values change according to a cellular automation system, rather than always remaining at the same value (r9094).
- OwenOyen contributed a patch that makes the behaviour of llRot2Euler() conform with that seen on Linden Lab’s Second Life grid. (r9095).
- Melanie introduced a CHANGED_ANIMATION event that is received through the existing LSL changed() mechanism. This can eliminate the need for constant polling in Animation Override (AO) scripts (r9110).
- Adam contined work on Mini Region Module (MRM) scripting functionality.
- Diva continued to improve the Hypergrid implementation, though none of the changes yet affect users (as far as I can see).
- Teravus started work on improving OpenSim’s Bullet Physics plugin, an alternative to the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) plugin.
- Homer started work on a new region module mechanism. The existing region modules mechanism will continue to work for some time yet.
- I continued to work on Inventory ARchive (IAR) functionality. This is not yet ready for general use.
- Stefan started some experimental work for allowing certain assets to directly store their owner names.
- Stefan did some work on flagging different categories of unit test (database and longrunning), so that it’s possible to run the shorter tests during development, and the longer ones only before checkin and in the continuous integration build.
- Except for those in the region tables, I made all UUID representations in OpenSim’s SQLite database plugin conform to the dashed format used elsewhere (as opposed to the undashed format). Conversion of those in the region tables for SQLite and MySQL will follow at a later date. Thanks to RemedyTomm for a further fix to this.