This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 28th March 2009 March 29, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod, virtual-environments, virtual-worlds.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r8837 – r8918 )
- None this week.
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie implemented inventory give across regions and offline (r8848).
- dslake contributed a patch that makes script engines faster to startup when the sim starts up. The effect is more noticeable on regions that contain many scripts (r8852).
- Melanie fixed a bug where llGetOwnerKey() would sometimes fail. See Mantis 3326 for more details (r8859).
- dslake contributed a patch which means that the start parameter provided in llRemoteLoadScriptPin() is now correctly passed to the started script, such that it can be retrieved via llGetStartParameter() (r8862).
- drscofield enhanced the “kick user” console command so that the kicked user can be messaged explicitly via a dialog box that they are being kicked out (r8864).
- arthursv contributed a patch which allows libomv bots to properly set appearance in OpenSim (r8869).
- Melanie made OpenSim persist script line number maps to the filesystem rather than regnerate them on every startup. Line number maps are used to align internal code line numbers with LSL script line numbers. This change should improve script startup times (r8878).
- Dahlia made sculpt prim meshing properly honour the “Mirror” option for a prim (r8886).
- Alan Webb contributed a patch which fixes a recent regression in the REST services (r8892).
- maimedleech contributed a patch which allows wind to be enabled/disabled and its speed to be adjusted. Please see the [Wind] section in bin/OpenSim.ini.example for a few more details (r8898).
- Teravus added some error correction for texture decoding. This may help relieve j2k texture decoding problems seen on 64 bit systems. See Mantis 3049 for more details.
- Diva continued to improve the Hypergrid implementation, though none of the changes yet affect users (as far as I can see).
- I continued work on Inventory ARchives (though this is not yet ready for public consumption).
- arthursv contributed a patch that updates the libOMV used by OpenSim to 0.6.0 (released on March 19 2009). Teravus applied this and performed further changes.
- Melanie started work on infrastructure for offline IM storage.
- Melanie added infrastructure (not an implementation) for mute list handling.