This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 21st February 2009 February 23, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r8397 – r8555 )
- In r8544, lbsa71 bumped the OpenSim interface version from 2 to 3. This means that regions servers running this and later revisions will no longer be able to connect to grid services running earlier revisions (and vice versa). This was necessary to persuade people running region servers on open grids to upgrade.
Features & bug fixes
- DoranZemlja and Vytek contributed improvements to the llGetNextEmail() implementation (r8456).
- dahlia fixed an issue where complex sculpties were always being rendered as phantom. (r8398).
- Diva fixed an issue where a flying avatar would occasionally drop when crossing region boundaries (r8404).
- idb fixed a bug where the client session would terminate when the user’s avatar stood up (r8403).
- DoranZemlja contributed a patch that corrects the behaviour of llListSort() (r8439).
- Alan Webb and Dr Scofield contributed a patch that removes a script compile bug that manifested under heavy load (r8445).
- Diva made a change to the interregion protocol such that an avatar’s appearance is passed from region to region, rather than always requested from the user service. This change may cause some appearance instability for a short while (r8552).
- Melanie improved animation management when avatars cross region boundaries (which should improve Animation Override operations) (r8472).
- DoranZemlja contributed a patch that will fix a fairly rare problem encountered during startup where a generated map tile would contain rgb values that exceeded 255 (r8454).
- Christopher Yeoh contributed a patch that implements osGetDrawStringSize(). This provides information as to the size of a string rendered on a dynamic image in a specified font and font size (r8475).
- Melanie fixed occasional Windows file sharing problems on scripts that crossed regions (r8488).
- Ruud Lathorp contributed a patch that should improve the efficiency of the MSSQL OpenSim database adapter (r8512).
- Diva removed the final use of .NET remoting to do interregion communications. Region servers running OpenSimulator revisions older than this will no longer be compatible with later revisions (r8525).
- DoranZemlja contributed a patch that means that the && and || operators in LSL no longer short-circuit (this matches the Linden Lab implentation (r8528).
- DoranZemlja and myself contributed a patch which fixes problems with scripts that end up performing a lot of calls that involve the prim’s inventory. These problems were caused by a lack of locking to ensure concurrent access to that inventory (r8531).
- lbsa71 bumped the OpenSim interface version from 2 to 3. See general news for more details (r8544).
- mikem added a currently experimental asset/inventory service which should eventually replace the existing code. The new code offers greater flexibility for allowing other services to access this data and enabling different service architectures. See his opensim-dev mailing list post for more details.
- Alan Webb contributed a patch that removed the hardcoding of asset client and asset cache implementations.
- I continued work on inventory archiving code.
- Tommil continued to contribute NHibernate related patches.
- MW started to refactor the grid service so that it can accept modules.