This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 14th February 2009 February 15, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r8281 – r8396 )
- This week DrScofield womanfully carried out part 2 of the namespace changes discussed in this section last week. This involves changing splitting up the existing region modules in OpenSim into ‘core’ modules and ‘optional’ modules and changing namespaces from OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules to
respectively. However, this seems to be causing similar build problems to last week. If you can’t get OpenSim to build after running ‘nant clean’, then you might want to try deleting the contents of bin/Terrain and rebuilding as well. If this still doesn’t work, then please try creating a completely new build, migrating bin/Regions, bin/OpenSim.ini.example and any SQLite files (such as OpenSim.db for the region) as appropriate. This sucks, I know – hopefully we can improve our build process to avoid this happening again (r8316).
Features & bug fixes
- Robert Smart contributed a patch that partially implements llLookAt(), to the extent that an object will correctly rotate and point at a target. However, the damping and strength parameters are currently ignored (r8294).
- Diva switched the prim and avatar region crossing code from using .NET serialization to a REST like HTTP approach. This change may take a bit of time to settle down. In particular, region crossings may be more reliable but temporarily less smooth than before, since we’re now explicitly waiting for confirmation of the cross by the two simulators involved rather than guessing when the crossing has taken place.Please note also that simulators at or past this revision will not be able to cross avatars into simulators that are running versions of OpenSim previous to this revision, and vice versa (r8374).
- FrankNichols contributed a patch that fixes llSetPrimitiveParams(PRIM_ROTATION…) when used on a child prim in a linkset (r8336).
- Diva made a change which means that estates bans now work when a user teleports into an estate (r8345).
- Kitto Flora contributed a patch which means that when the ODE physics engine is being used, an avatar that is flying will hover no less than 2 meters above the ground (e.g. if you go lower without actually landing you will bounce back up to 2 meters). This should result in a smoother flying experience (r8347).
- idb made a change such that llGetNumberOfPrims() now includes sitting avatars in the total (r8386).
- melanie fixed console issues where on some occasions the console would vomit an identical list of exceptions for some time before failing, and on other occasions the display would slowly inch up the screen until it disappeared (r8384).
- DoranZemlja contributed a patch that provides some implementation of inter-object e-mail via LSL. See Mantis 3145 for more details (r8397).
- Tommil and mpallari continued to contribute NHibernate related patches.
- I started work on an inventory archive format. This will be similar to the OpenSim ARchive (OAR) format but will apply to inventory rather than region archiving.
- lbsa71 continuted to refactor the login code.
- arthursv contributed some tests for the XEngine scripting engine.
- mikem continuted to refactor the asset infrastructure code.
- I moved world map generating code to the WorldMapModule. Diva later fixed a bug where I had overlooked the Hypergrid section of the code.