This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 7th February 2009 February 8, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r8196 – r8280 )
- DrScofield performed a major namespace change where
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Scenes => OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes OpenSim.Region.Environment.Interfaces => OpenSim.Region.Framework.Interfaces OpenSim.Region.Interfaces => OpenSim.Region.Framework.Interfaces
This change was very necessary, but might cause problems for people following SVN trunk if they are using non-core modules or still have some older code in their build (this may be on purpose or by accident). If you are having problems with building or starting OpenSim, I would first suggest trying a clean build (“nant clean build” if you are using nant). If this still doesn’t work, then please try creating a completely new build, migrating bin/Regions, bin/OpenSim.ini.example and any SQLite files (such as OpenSim.db for the region) as appropriate.
Third party module writers will also need to update their code (r8267).
Features & bug fixes
- Teravus added information about the existing trees module in OpenSim, and a setting to control whether the module is active or not (see bin/OpenSim.ini.example for more details). The trees module allows automatic creation/growth and death of trees (r8202).
- Robert Smart contributed a patch that allows the VectorRenderModule to create non-square dynamic textures (i.e. ones with transparency). This patch also allows width, height and alpha values to be passed in the extraParams argument of osSetDynamicTextureData(). For example “height:512, width:2048, alpha:255” (r8208).
- MW fixed a bug where deleting a prim shortly after delinking it would remove it from the scene but not the database, which would make it reappear when the region server was restarted (r8238).
- Diva fixed a race condition that was causing some failed teleports (r8239).
- I introduced a new “default” option for the asset_database parameter in OpenSim.ini which means that the asset service used now defaults to “local” if running in standalone mode, and “grid” if running in grid mode (r8241).
- Christopher Yeoh contributed a patch that fixes a problem that occured when an object containing a script was deleted at the same time that another object containing that script was rezzed. This used to result in the new script not starting up (r8245).
- jonc contributed a patch that stops an error occuring if a user tries to export a terrain in LLRAW format when that contains negative values (e.g. a z co-ordinate of less than zero). Instead, the values are now clamped to 0 in the exported data (r8253).
- cmickeyb contributed a patch that allows an HTTP proxy to be used for the methods in LSL that make HTTP requests. See bin/OpenSim.ini.example for some more details (r8268).
- dslake contributed a fix so that in grid mode OpenSim correctly sends the avatar’s last position (previously, x/y/x was accidentally sent rather than x/y/z) (r8271).
- melanie improved the OpenSim console so that it now allows line editing, can give context sensitive help (by typing ?) and has a command line history (r8275).
- Rob Smart pointed out that llAtan2() was accidentally swapping the x and y arguments. sdague fixed this (r8274).
- Diva added support for hyperlinking to a specific region on a hyperlinked instance. For instance, if you want to hyperlink to the gateway region on the UCI hyperlink instance, you can specify
to get to the Gateway region hosted by the region server at ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007. See this opensim-users mailing list post for more details.
- mikem carried out some cleanup of the database plugin loading code.
- I extended some linkset tests and changed the underlying code so that ‘children’ parts are properly removed from SceneObjectGroups when prims are linked.
- mikem carried out refactoring work on the asset infrastructure in the code in order to create a separate AssetMetadata class.
- Tommil contributed code to create an nunit test for the llAngleBetween() LSL function. This is a good first step towards doing more automated tests of LSL functions.
- lbsa71 performed some refactoring of the login code.