This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 3rd January 2009 January 4, 2009Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-grid, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r7882 – r7935 )
- As Diva has started work on changing the interregion comms protocol (see infrastructure point further below), this will make some newer trunk OpenSim revisions incompatible with neighbours that are of previous revisions in either subtle or very object ways (e.g. border crossing problems or region invisibility). Unfortunately, we don’t yet have a mechanism for automatically preventing or warning if two incompatible regions are being placed in vincinity to one another. So if you are following SVN trunk (which, to be honest, I hope you wouldn’t be for any sizable public grid), you may want to make sure that all your regions are upgraded at once. This will probably be the case for some time. This won’t affect those running regions on a standalone OpenSim instance.
Features & bug fixes
- Melanie fixed a bug where object return by the estate owner would place objects in the returner’s inventory if the object owner was not in the sim (r7885).
- I implemented saving of region (though not estate) settings in OpenSim ARchive (OAR) files. This means that terrain textures, water height, etc. should now be restored when newer OAR files are loaded (r7896).
- Homer fixed a bug where linking physical objects would crash the server when using the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) physics engine. However, at this time linking of physical objects using ODE still doesn’t work correctly (r7904).
- Gerhard contributed a patch which means that an OpenSim.ini file is not automatically generated if one doesn’t already exist. This means that anybody installing OpenSim will have to manually copy OpenSim.ini.example to OpenSim.ini (r7911).
- Melanie fixed a bug where a client session in an OpenSim region server running more than one region would crash when money payment was made via a script (r7913).
- Homer made a performance improvement where a single static serializer is initialized for an object rather than initializing a new instance on every use. This should significantly improve the performance of operations that rely on object serialization (r7915).
- Diva started work on making interregion comms use a REST style interface rather than .NET remoting.