This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 13th December 2008 December 15, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r7633 – r7707 )
- r7707 upgrades the external OpenSim protocol interfaces (between regions and from region to grid) to version 2 from version 1. OpenSim regions running code earlier than r7707 will not be able to connect to grids running r7707 and later revisions.
- I’d like to welcome Diva (Crista Lopes) as a new OpenSim core committer. Diva is an associate professor at the Department of Informatics at the University of California, Irvine, and has done considerable work on the experimental Hypergrid architecture and OpenSim Second Life protocol CAPS support, as well as earlier work on OpenSim’s DataSnapshot module.
Features & bug fixes
- Teravus made linked prims a single body when using the ODE physics engine. He also fixed a bug that would cause the physics representations of prims to be scattered when an object was linked (r7633).
- idb fixed a bug where big startup database migrations were getting terminated after 30 seconds (r7641).
- jonc contributed a patch that means that RAW terrains are imported into OpenSim in the same orientation as they were downloaded from the Linden grid (via the download RAW terrain button in the estate dialog of the Linden Lab Second Life viewer).However, this does mean that any terrains saved in RAW format before this revision will now be flipped around the y axis when imported. To fix this, jonc also contributed a patch that allows one to execute the command “terrain flip y” on the console which should fix this (r7654).
- nlin contributed a patch that fixes a rare race condition on the ODE physics engine when an avatar’s capsule is created/altered/destroyed when another ODE operation has locked the space (e.g. during collision detection). One symptom of this was the error “ODE INTERNAL ERROR 2 (X) invalid operation for geom in locked space…” (r7659).
- MW repaired the facility to run a script containing OpenSim console commands on region shutdown (r7662).
- sdague changed the default scripting engine to be XEngine instead of DotNetEngine. In the past half a year, XEngine has received more development attention and appears to have better performance (r7678).
- Diva contributed a patch that may fix some of the current teleport issues (notably issues on an A -> B -> A teleport sequence). This patch upgrades the protocol version from v1 to v2. OpenSim regions will need to upgrade before they can connect to region servers running this revision (r7707).
- I worked on user profile cache and inventory related tests.
- MW started on work to move the current Second Life protocol specific file transfer code into the LLClientStack.