This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 29th November 2008 December 1, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r7439 – r7546)
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- Diva contributed a new OpenSim architecture called the Hypergrid. Essentially, in this mode an individual region in a grid or standalone configuration can set up a link to another hypergrid region. Avatars can then travel between the two grids or standalones. When teleporting to a ‘foreign’ grid, inventory requests are still routed to the home grid. Rezzing an item transfers the required assets from the home grid to the foreign grid. You can read more details about this on our wiki. I would say that this mode is currently experimental (r7471).
- Melanie made the link order of a linkset persist over server restarts (r7474).
- I made a change such that on a border crossing, a flying avatar should now no longer sometimes shift back to a standing position in midair. However, the flicker and slowdown of the avatar on the region crossing still remains – I believe these are separate problems (r7487).
- nlin contributed a patch that implements autopilot (r7495).
- Melanie worked on improving attachments behaviour (r7542).
- Diva contributed a patch that significantly improves teleporting (r7541).
- Melanie worked on improving presence notifications in the face of region restarts or crashes.
- Homer continued work on improving Friends/Presence handling.
- I started work on extracting inventory code to separate classes from the scene presence.
- I continued work on unit test infrastructure for scene object testing.