This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 22nd November 2008 November 24, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r7318 – r7438 )
- None this week
Features & bug fixes
- Homer fixed a client session crashing bug which occurred if one’s home region was unavailable when teleporting to home (r7335).
- I stopped the root and child prims of an object being set to null when the a scene object is deleted. Doing this meant that lots of null checks had to be inserted in the code to prevent a race condition. Stopping this happening may prevent some crashes. Thanks to Melanie for fixing a regression I accidentally introduced while doing this (any future re-regression of this is now prevented by a unit test) (r7415).
- I added a permissions option (allowed_script_editors) to OpenSim.ini that allows one to stop anybody except administrators/gods from editing scripts. In conjunction with allowed_script_creators from last week, this may be enough to prevent non-administrators in a standalone/private closed grid from introducing arbitrary script code (though they can still run scripts that are available in the library or their inventory) (r7363).
- nlin contributed a patch that implements llCollisionSound() (r7392).
- Chris Yeoh contributed a patch that fixes a regression where scripts in child prims froze after being unlinked (r7398).
- Melanie added the ability to select objects by owner. I believe this can be done from the Objects tab of the About Land dialog in the Linden client (r7410).
- Melanie fully implemented object return (again accessible from the Objects tab) (r7311).
- Dahlia continued work on the meshmerizer.
- Melanie started refactoring the Instant Messaging (IM) module.
- Homer worked on improving Friends handling.
- Melanie separated out a message transfer module from the general IM module.
- I updated libOMV and libopenjpeg to those in the libOMV repository as of their r2359 for jhurliman’s progressive texture delivery patch. Unfortunately, despite many people’s best efforts the patch is not useable (jhurliman himself documents the reasons for this in Mantis 2655).
- arthursv contributed a database layer unit test.
- I started work on scene presence/root agent/avatar oriented tests.
- I continued work on unit test infrastructure for scene object testing.
- I started work on extracting inventory code from Scene classes into their own classes. This work will probably be done slowly over a considerable period.
- Melanie continued work on infrastructure code for a more complete implementation of Second Life groups for OpenSim.