jump to navigation

This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 18th October 2008 October 19, 2008

Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
trackback

Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs.  After any general news there are two sections.  The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim.   The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.

The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project.  This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.

This week in OpenSim ( r6803 – r6905 )

General news

  • JIRA-9332 is still open at the time of writing but os* ‘LSL’ functions are, in fact, working in the latest OpenSim revisions.  This may be due to Homer’s change in r6883 which means OpenSim always tells the viewer that the server is running scripts under Mono.  This may be causing the client to send back the script even if it contains functions it can’t resolve (this is a hypothesis, any more accurate information would be welcome in the JIRA comments).

Features & bug fixes

  • Melanie fixed llSetPos() to handle linked prims correctly (r6803).
  • Melanie fixed linking phantom and non-phantom prims (r6817).
  • Teravus updated the Open Dynamics Engine physics engine.  As part of this, the Linux and Windows ODE settings in OpenSim.ini now have the same values.  If you’re using a Linux machine and find your ankles sinking into prims/the terrain, you might want to check these settings are the same as in OpenSim.ini.example (r6904).
  • I applied a modified version of a patch from Sacha Magne that allows you to enable and disable the registration of regions to the grid server when in grid mode.  Type “help” on the grid server console to see the “show status”, “enable-reg” and “disable-reg” commands (r6826).
  • idb contributed a patch to calculate llGetAgentSize() from appearance parameters (r6828).
  • Adam Frisby added a cryptographic grid asset client.  See his blog post for more details (r6833).
  • I made KillObject packets reliable.  This may help in situations where large linksets do not always correctly delete (r6836).
  • I made a fix such that you can now see avatars rotate on the spot.  Previously, updates were only sent if the client actually changed co-ordinates (r6842).
  • M. Igarashi and nlin contributed a patch that implements llGetCameraRot() (r6843).
  • T. Sado and nlin contributed a patch that partially implements llGetAgentInfo() (r6844).
  • idb contributed a patch that implements llGetRegionFPS() (r6868).
  • Homer added some missing CAPS capabilities for script updating.  As a side effect, this may mean that the latest viewer (1.21.6) can now use os() LSL functions without any problems.  See above for more details (r6883).
  • I closed two potential race conditions in the Second Life UDP client stack for OpenSim.  These may have occurred under heavy load.  Thanks to Teravus for a further fix to my fix (r6908).
  • Homer made a fix to llDeleteSubList() (r6890).
  • Melanie fixed skull attachment editing (r6898).
  • Melanie implemented auto return (r6899).
  • Strawberry Fride contributed a patch that synchronizes MSSQL data storage abilities with MYSQL (r6905).
  • Homer fixed date/time handling to always be in UTC rather than in the server’s local timezone (r6902).
  • Homer added creation time in some places where it was missing from inventory item creation.  In combination with the rest of r6902 this should Mantis 2390 where the recent items tab in the Linden client’s inventory wasn’t working (r6902).

Infrastructure

  • Dahlia continued work on the meshmerizer.
  • I did some work on the client stack to eliminate the function that allows code in other packages to send Second Life packets directly.
  • sdague continued work on database unit tests.
Advertisements

Comments»

1. rjs - October 21, 2008

“If you’re using a Linux machine and find your ankles sinking into prims/the terrain, you might want to check these settings are the same as in OpenSim.ini.example”

Wasn’t sure what happened after I upgraded yesterday evening. Appeared ODE went to lunch.

Really great to see the latest work. Skull attachment editing fixes are very noticeable.

Thank you for all the updates each week.
–rjs

2. rjs - October 21, 2008

Sorry about the double post above, the site hung up. You can delete one.

Here is a small script off of sl wiki for the region fps. Seems to work.

———
// The beginnings of a region-info script.
string region;
string sim;

default
{
state_entry()
{
llSetTimerEvent(1.0);
}

timer()
{
string here = llGetRegionName();
if(region != here)
{
sim = llGetSimulatorHostname();
region = here;
}
llSetText(
” REGION NAME : ” + region +
“\n SIM HOSTNAME : ” + sim +
“\nTIME DIALATION : ” + (string)llGetRegionTimeDilation() +
“\n REGION FPS : ” + (string)llGetRegionFPS(),
, 1.0);
}
}

——-

3. justincc - October 23, 2008

Nice. Thanks rjs.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: