jump to navigation

This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 11th October 2008 October 13, 2008

Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
trackback

Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs.  After any general news there are two sections.  The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim.   The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.

The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project.  This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.

This week in OpenSim ( r6678 – r6802 )

General news

  • There is still no resolution on the use of OpenSim OS* LSL functions in scripts within the latest Linden 1.21 release candidate viewer.  If you would like to see this resolved, please vote for JIRA-9332

Features & bug fixes

  • Teravus fixed a bug where sitting avatars did not show up on the minimap (r6691).
  • Teravus implemented avatar green dots on the main map (r6738).
  • Melanie implemented the ‘set owner to me‘ admin option for objects (r6695).
  • tglion contributed a patch that implements llModifyLand() (r6725).
  • Melanie fixed a bug where prim inventory items were not sold when the object itself was sold (r6707).
  • Melanie changed permissions such that gods can override permissions and take copies of objects (r6708).
  • Melanie implemented the permissions ability for gods to force parcel ownership to themselves (r6712).
  • Ralphos contributed a patch that fully implements llSetLinkAlpha() (r6713).
  • I stopped the SimStatsPacket being reused for different client’s stats connections.  This was causing the Linden viewer to constantly output out_of_order error messages for wildly differing packet sequence numbers.  Thanks to Teravus for a further fix of my fix (r6746).
  • Chris Yeoh contributed a patch which means that prim inventory items loaded via an archive (load-oar) now have the correct default ownership (as was already being down for the prims themselves) (r6722).
  • Chris Yeoh contributed a better implementation for llGround() (r6723).
  • Chris Yeoh contributed a patch which fixes the bugs with llSetPos() reported in Mantis 2312.  jonc also contributed fixes for llSetPos() (r6734).
  • tglion contributed a patch that implements the “Allow others to terraform” option (r6725).
  • I fixed a bug where deselection of objects above approximately 30 prims would cause multiple times more network traffic than was actually required for the update.  This may improve the experience of manipulating objects with many prims (r6741).
  • Homer added support for the immediate switching of music/media URLs.  This should allow radio scripts to work (r6744).
  • idb contributed a large patch with many llSensor improvements.  Please see Mantis 2373 for more information (r6766).
  • Homer Horwitz fixed the ability to rename items in prim inventory (r6767).
  • cmickeyb contributed a patch that enhances the OpenSim <-> IRC bridge.  See Mantis 2379 for more information and a couple of useful example scripts (conference room and HUD object) (r6786).
  • Teravus changed the main scene heartbeat (which performs tasks such as prim persistence and stats update, amongst other things) to use a dedicated thread rather than a regular timer.  This should improve efficiency but might reveal underlying short term bugs.  If you’re following SVN trunk you may want to pause at r6788 until later on in the week when hopefully any major bugs will have been shaken out (r6789).
  • Homer improved llParcelMediaCommandList() (r6800).
  • Melanie added shift operators << and >> to LSL (r6796).

Infrastructure

  • Fly-Man, Homer, Diva Cantos and Melanie worked on improving DataSnapshot.  This module output an xml representation of objects and information on a region, potentially allowing this to be used in search.
  • I worked on changing OpenSim to assume that client link throttling information is in bits per second rather than bytes per second.  However, this revealed other underlying issues so has temporarily been reverted.
  • Dr Scofield continued work on the OSHttpServer code.
  • I started work on unit tests for the existing Second Life network stack that allows a Second Life client and OpenSim to talk to one another.
  • MW started work on support for the new LSL Touch functions that exist in the 1.21 release candidate Linden clients for the beta grid (server version 1.24, I believe).
Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: