This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 16th August 2008 August 17, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r5807 – r5889 )
Features & bug fixes
- Mic Bowman contributed a patch that improves fetch of an entire agent inventory by replacing the previous query per folder code with one query for all the folders. These fetches are made when an avatar enters a region (so that we don’t need to make multiple inventory calls to the inventory server). Thus, there’s a small chance this will improve login, teleport and region crossing times (though in theory they should never be held up by an inventory transfer delay) (r5811).
- Melanie made a small fix which means that asynchronous LSL commands (such as llSensor()) should now work properly on region servers running multiple regions (r5816).
- Lulurun contributed a patch that fixes an inventory relog issue with a grid using the secure inventory setting (this setting is not currently enabled by default). Under this setting, the client’s session id is used to establish whether inventory access should be permitted. However, if a client was to log off and relog on to a region, that region would continue to use the old session id, and thus fail all the inventory calls. This has now largely been fixed, though some issues may remain (r5817).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch to enable the stand up button when an avatar is sitting on the ground (r5819).
- Melanie made a change where an estate owner now has the same rights as the region master avatar (r5822).
- Omar Vera Ustariz contribute a patch that implements a subset of llParcelMediaCommandList() (r5825).
- Melanie implemented a subsection of llParcelMediaQuery() (r5826).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that implements llRequestInventoryData() (r5828).
- Tyre contributed a patch that fixes a bug in llOverMyLand() (r5829).
- Kinoc contributed a patch that upgrades the Yield Prolog script language code to Yield Prolog 1.0.1 (r5830).
- Tyre contributed a patch that implements llTeleportAgentHome() (r5832).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that fixes Mantis 1856 issues with llTakeControls() (r5834).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that improves teleport to landmark and home position handling (r5843).
- Melanie made a change to allow the estate owner to properly perform estate related operations, such as adding and removing estate managers (r5844).
- krtaylor contibuted a patch that fixes problems with llListSort() and llListRandomize() where the stride was less than 1 (r5847).
- Richard Alimi contributed patches that allows prims to be retrieved and added via our xml 2 format via the region REST interface (r5852).
- Melanie put persistent user flags and god mode settings into the user database. Users with god level >= 200 will have equivalent permissions to the region’s master avatar if allow_grid_gods = true is set in bin/OpenSim.ini. By default this setting is false (r5860).
- Melanie fixed a bug where name and description changes to region prims were not enough on their own to trigger their persistence to the database (r5862).
- Leaf contributed a patch that implements llGetAnimationList() (r5864).
- Melanie implemented partner and account title fields for profiles (r5866).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that implements “about landmark” and “show on map” functionality to landmarks (r5879).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that means that avatar inventory fetches should now be significantly quicker (r5881).
- I added a new “set log level [level]” command to OpenSim consoles. This allows the level of log events sent to the console to be changed (the level sent to the log is not affected). The immediate use is to provide an easy way to temporarily turn off console log messages when entering commands. Changes made using this command are not permanent. To change things permanently look at adding a log4net level threshold to the Console append in config files such as OpenSim.exe.config (r5884).
- Melanie did some work to increase our use of cached user profiles rather than looking the information up on every request.