This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 9th August 2008 August 10, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r5753 – r5806 )
- Melanie made a change such that landmarks can now always be set, as was the case in the past. Currently we do not implement parcel based restrictions on landmark setting (r5755).
- I fixed a bug where prim updates to a client would fail if that prim’s display text was longer than 255 characters (r5765).
- I patched up a bug where the length of C# error line number information was incorrect when translating C# line numbers to LSL line numbers, which ended up preventing a bad script from actually being killed (r5766).
- Alan Webb contributed a patch which stops sit target information from being set onto the wrong prims when a region archive is loaded. Instead, sit information is currently reset (r5772).
- lmmz contributed a patch to improve the implementation of the particle system (r5791).
- Homer Horwitz also contributed a patch to improve the implementation of the particle system (r5792).
- I made a change to turn off secure inventory grid session lookup by default, pending further experimentation. This setting might possibly have been a contributing factor to recent inventory instability, although this is far from certain. This will not affect existing configurations. If you want to switch off session lookup on existing grid configurations, you will need to switch the session_lookup attribute in bin/Inventory_Config.xml to false. This setting has no effect on standalone OpenSim (r5796).
- I made a change so that when a region archive is loaded, owner/last owner/created settings are correctly preserved if a user with the referenced UUID is in that OpenSim installation’s database. If this isn’t the case, the owner becomes the region’s master avatar, as before (r5805).
- Melanie started work on a generic caching infrastructure.