This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 2nd August 2008 August 3, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r5671 – r5752 )
Features & bug fixes
- mikem implemented LSL float operations where both operands are floats (r5671).
- melanie fixed a bug where some LSL operations would have unexpected results on systems where the default locale was not en_US (r5682).
- mikem switched on a new LSL compiler to replace our old regular expression based method. This may cause some new bugs to appear in the short term, but in the long term it will lead to a much more robust interpretation of LSL by OpenSim (r5683).
- mikem implemented and improved a large number of casts in LSL, including String -> Quaternion, float -> integer, integer -> float, etc (r5717).
- Dr Schofield improved the GridInfo facility discussed last week to operate both in standalone and grid modes. There is also now a plain REST URL for this information (as well as an XML RPC one) (r5695).
- melanie fixed a client protocol bug where viewer effect packets were crashing clients on some configurations. We saw this a lot in the OSGrid office hours this week (so much so that the meeting had to be abandoned). Hopefully this is now resolved (r5708).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that implements llSetLinkTexture() (r5713).
- mikem fixed a parser problem with LSL if/if-else/for/while/do-while statements that had no body (r5715).
- mikem fixed a problem where assignments could not be made in LSL if/while/do-while control statements. This may have been an issue with the new parser (r5716).
- M. Igarashi and nlin contributed a patch that implements the LSL unary minus operator for vectors (r5721).
- sacha magne contributed a patch that implements llRequestSimulatorData() (r5722).
- sacha mange contributed a patch that stops chat being heard across all regions hosted by the same region server since distance calculations were ignoring the fact that avatars were actually in different regions (r5723).
- Homer Horwitz contributed a patch that implements llSetCameraParams() and llClearCameraParams() (r5725).
- Zaki contributed a patch that swallows non-fatal exceptions in the plugin loader when opensim servers are started in parallel (r5734).
- lmmz contributed a patch that implements llForceMouseLook() (r5736).
- melanie added the ‘allow only age verified’ flag and the abuse e-mail address to estate settings (r5748).
- Sempuki started to contribute code to clean up our module system.
- I started work on facility to save/load inventory to archives as well as regions. This is not intended to replace client side tools that do the same job – the inventory archiving facility will initially only be easily accessible from an OpenSim region console.