This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 26th July 2008 July 27, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r5556 – r5670 )
Features & bug fixes
- Strawberry Fride contributed a patch that added the agent tables to the MSSQL database adapter. This should add some missing functionality to the MSSQL driver, including the saving of the last avatar position between logins (r5558).
- Dahlia improved llAxes2Rot() to more closely match the Linden implementation (r5561).
- Melanie Milland conducted an overhaul of packet handling for the Linden Lab viewer protocol. Neopallium also contributed a small fix in this area (r5624).
- Mike Mazur improved line number error reporting in the LSL compiler (r5613).
- Michael Wright fixed a problem where avatars that were already sitting when a client logged in would appear rotated to that client. This may also fix some animation problems (r5597).
- Dahlia implemented llGetForce() and llSetForce() (r5629).
- Mingchen added a framework for indicating the effect of console commands (hazardous, non-hazardous, statistical). This is not yet widely used (r5633).
- Mike Mazur fixed the casting of integers to floats in LSL (r5643).
- Alan Webb contributed further improvements to REST handlers for manipulating assets and inventory (r5645).
- I fixed a bug where an archive save would never complete if any assets required were found to be missing (r5653).
- Dr Schofield added a first cut of a GridInfo plugin that will return grid information on a get_grid_info request. Current this request is made via XMLRPC and just returns everything in a [GridInfo] section in OpenSim.ini. More details in mantis 1825. Not sure how functional this is yet (r5658).
- I fixed a bug where linked objects from archives would load okay but not survive a server restart. Thanks also to Dahlia for an additional fix in this area (r5668).
- Melanie Milland fixed a bug where terrain textures applied to estates did not survive server restart (r5657).
- Mike Mazur implemented +, -, *, / LSL operations where both operands were float variables (r5671).
- Lulurun contributed patches to implement a secure inventory service. This allows inventory requests to proceed only if the user is currently logged in. However, the current implementation has brought to light some desired OpenSim configurations that it does not fulfill. This is currently under review but should not break any of the commonly used configurations (where there is only one user and inventory server active on the grid) (r5642).
- Dr Schofield continued work on writing infrastructure to replace our home brewed HTTP code with classes based on a third party library.
- sdague continued work on adding an NHibernate database interaction layer.
- Sempuki started to contribute code to clean up our module system.
- Michael Wright started work on a packet tracker to improve monitoring of client protocols.