This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 5th July 2008 July 6, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until the end of last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. After any general news there are two sections. The first section – “Features and bug fixes”, contains prominent new functionality and bug fixes visible to users of OpenSim. The numbers in brackets in this section are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
The second section contains information about the infrastructure changes happening within the project. This is going to be a little more impressionistic than the features/bug fixes list, but hopefully it will give a picture of how OpenSim is evolving from week to week.
This week in OpenSim ( r5276 – r5344 )
Features & bug fixes
- Teravus Ousley fixed a major problem with taking and rezzing objects from avatar inventory (r5277).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch to fix llRezObject() to better respect permissions (r5281).
- cmickeyb and I introduced code to automatically reconnect before the persistent connection expires in MySQL. This means that the MySQL wait_timeout connection setting does not need to be increased to avoid connection problems after a period of inactivity any more (r5329).
- Dahlia corrected meshes for profile cut angles for ring and tube type prims (r5291).
- sdague added code to expire dynamic textures from the asset cache. This should reduce the memory consumpton of scripts which use such dynamic textures (such as osSetDynamicTextureData()) (r5296).
- Gary Chernega contributed a patch which eliminates cpu eating deadlock in llResetScript() (r5301).
- MW added a facility to save the xml of a single primitive, as identified by name. This can be invoked via “save-prims-xml2 <PrimName> <FileName>”, and the resulting xml can be reloaded via load-xml2 as normal (r5302).
- Alan Webb contributed a module that allows avatar inventory manipulation via an HTTP REST style interface. No documentation apart from the code itself exists yet (r5305).
- Dahlia added experimental mesh support for sphere dimple on prim types box, cylinder and prim (r5311).
- Matth contributed code to implement llSetPrimitiveParams() and update llGetPrimitiveParams() (r5321).
- Vytek contributed code to implement llGetTimeOfDay() (r5344).
- sdague migrated region database prim, primshapes and primitems tables to use char(36) for UUID columns rather than varchar(255). This should improve performance (r5325)
- Mingchen made *.raw terrain files loadable via the “terrain load-tile” region console command (r5327).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch to fix occasional incorrect sit rotation (r5328).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch to change TRUE and FALSE to be integers in LSL (r5331).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch such that state transitions now happen immediately in LSL. The previous behaviour of OpenSim was to wait until the function completed (r5332).
- Dr Schofield implemented RemoteAdminPlugin.XmlRpcUpdateUserAccountMethod(…) to provide a remote user update capability (r5336).
- Dahlia changed the default terrain lower limit to be -100 rather than 100. This should remove terraforming issues when land below 100m was manipulated (r5342).
- I continued to work on an OpenSim object and region archiving utility.
- sdague continued work on NHibernate.
- Melanie contributed code which worked towards storing estate settings in the region database.
- Dr Schofield continued work on writing infrastructure to replace our home brewed HTTP code with classes based on a third party library.
- I completed work to drop superfluous inventory type information from the asset tables.
- Sempuki started to contribute code to clean up our module system.