This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 24th May 2008 May 26, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. The changes picked out are user visible changes – most refactoring and stability revision are left out, unless they’re of particular interest. The numbers in brackets are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
So, this week in OpenSim ( r4740 – r4828 )
- Following on from last week, sdague did more work on persistent user appearance, including a fix for missing pants on grid mode (r4804).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch that means that when you accept an item given to you by someone else, it will appear in the appropriate folder instead of in your inventory root (r4760).
- Teravus Ousley made changes which mean that sculpties should now load reliably on region startup and successfully generate a collision mesh as soon as the sculpt texture is available (r4780).
- Teravus Ousley changed the scene persistence sweep to run on a separate thread to the main scene update. This should mean that moving many objects or objects containing many prims should no longer be a cause of massive lag when the scene is persisted to the database (which happens roughly every 15 seconds). However, this does still leave physics as a source of persistence in some situations (physics lag is actually orders of magnitude greater than scene persistence lag). (r4783).
- I made a change which should reduce problems serializing prim data via the load-xml2/save-xml2 mechanism as seen in mantis bugs 1263, 1202 and 679. However, it’s not impossible this may cause some prim shapes to not be persisted correctly. Please raise a mantis if you can isolate situations where this is the case (r4784).
- I deprecated load-xml/save-xml in favour of load-xml2/save-xml2. Please raise a mantis if you are using load-xml/save-xml2 but for some reason cannot use load-xml2/save-xml2. (r4806).
- I started pushing the SVN build revision, if available, to the About box in the Linden client. The revision number is only available if you are running OpenSimulator from the same directory to which you extracted and built the code (r4821).
- adjohn added basic ‘show users‘ functionality back into the region console (r4792).
- mikem contributed a patch which means that LSL functions not yet implemented are sent back to the Linden client’s debug console (r4795).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch that should allow scripts created directly in prim inventory via the ‘New Script‘ button in the Linden client to be renamed (r4810).
- Teravus Ousley implemented selected object return (r4823).
- Teravus Ousley implemented object return from the parcel object owner display (r4823).
- Teravus Ousley fixed a bug where selecting an object started an endless loop in the land module. This loop would eventually consume lots of memory (r4823).