This Week in OpenSim Dev – week ending Saturday 17th May 2008 May 18, 2008Posted by justincc in opensim, opensim-dev, opensim-news, secondlife, twiod.
Hello everybody. This is a short summary of OpenSim development for the past week up until last Saturday, as culled from our source code repository logs. The changes picked out are user visible changes – most refactoring and stability revision are left out, unless they’re of particular interest. The numbers in brackets are the final svn revision numbers in which the work was completed for this week. This is right at the cutting edge so there is no guarantee that this functionality is stable.
So, this week in OpenSim ( r4618 – r4739 )
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch which adds support for default animations that can be played by name even if they are not in inventory (r4622).
- Dahlia contributed a patch that properly aligns cylinder and square hollow meshes with physics objects (r4641).
- Teravus Ousley implemented a child agent update throttler. This may improve your view of prims in neighbouring regions if your internet connection is a little unreliable. (r4643).
- I changed grid mode region registration such that the region service startup now terminates if a hosted region could not register with the grid service. Previously region startup would simply carry on, which later led to confusion (r4633).
- I implemented a very simple check where regions registering to the grid have their status requested by the grid server to check that they can be contacted. If they cannot be contacted, region registration fails (r4644).
- mingchen added some missing permission checks (r4646).
- tglion contributed a patch that stops the revert land terrain tool throwing up huge spikes (r4648 ).
- cmickeyb contributed a patch to implement llGetStartParameter() (r4665). However, please note that the on_rez event is still unimplemented.
- Teravus Ousley changed the code such that physics configuration parameters from OpenSim.ini can now be passed to plugins (r4726). This allows you to change many parameters, such as gravity and avatar movement speed. See OpenSim.ini.example in the OpenSim distribution for more details.
- Melanie Milland contributed various permissions related patches (r4702, r4698, r4690, r4688, r4671 among others). It’s good to see that this area is progressing, though I think there is still a lot yet to be implemented. Unfortunately the details are a little opaque to me – you may want to experiment to find out exactly what the current situation is.
- Xantor contributed a patch to fix llEuler2Rot() (r4699).
- sdague implemented persistent user appearance in standalone mode (r4706). He has also done work to implement this in grid mode (r4734), though it sounds like there are still a few issues (no pants in grid mode, for instance!)
- mjm contributed a patch to fix LSL quaternion multiplication and division (r4708).
- Melanie Milland contributed a patch which fixes broken wearables icon display in prim inventories (r4728).
- KMeisthax updated the DataSnapshot module to enhance the ability of external search engines to index OpenSim instances (r4738).